December 12, 2021: Hey, Justin, here. My career changed and I let the domain lapse. Over 10 years since the last release, I
noticed that the project was still in use but had been forked a couple of times. I have a new need for syslog-based logging, so, I
paid to get the domain back. Over the next few months, I intend to revisit the code base.
December 10, 2021: Syslog4j does not share any base code with Log4j, so is not affected by the CVE-2021-44228 "Log4jShell" vulnerabilty.
Syslog4j provides client and server implementations of the BSD Syslog
protocol (RFC 3164) and
the Structured Syslog protocol (RFC 5424).
JavaDocs (API) |
- Client Protocols: UDP, TCP, TCP over SSL/TLS, Native Unix syslog, and Unix
- Server Protocols: UDP, TCP, and TCP over SSL/TLS
- Free software, licensed under the LGPL 2.1
(acceptable Open Source license as stated by the OSI)
- POJO (Plain Ol' Java Object) implementation; no frameworks required
- UDP, TCP, and TCP over SSL/TLS implementations of Syslog protocol (RFC 3164) require no external libraries or JARs
- Unix syslog & Unix socket support verified on Linux, FreeBSD, and Darwin (MacOSX) operating systems
- Extensible coding model for straightforward customization
- TCP and TCP over SSL/TLS implementations run under separate Threads (configurable)
- "BackLog" capability allows logging failures to be properly handled
- Works on JRE/JDK 1.4 and higher
Tested, EclEmma used for code
- Support for appending Sequential numbers, Checksum values
Hashes (SHAx/MD5), and
Cryptographic Signatures (HMAC)
- Support for escaping HTML characters to avoid log viewer scripting attacks
- Integrates into Apache Log4j via the Syslog4jAppender more...
- Support for PCI DSS
audit logging as per section 10.3 for the PCI DSS 1.2 specification
- Compatible with syslogd, syslog-ng from BalaBit IT Security, and other syslog servers
||Pending formal documentation
Download: Development Versions
Which distribution should you use? Click here for an explanation.
Checksums are SHA2-256. GPG Public Key available here: keyserver1.pgp.com |
Java™ is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems.